Mon 20th – Fri 24th Feb
- Preparation for MA YR 1 P/T Group show in the Linear Gallery. – Very much looking forward to this opportunity of presenting my work in a new space, and in an exhibition context.
- Will be interesting to work alongside my peers, all works are different in their own right, symbolizing each artists practice.
-The work I am thinking of including are:
- PLASTERED TRACE, 2017, Paper, Plaster, Paraffin wax, Microcrystalline wax, Acrylic paint.
- FIXED DUST, 2017, Sheet, Dust, Paint, Glass wax, Paraffin wax, Microcrystalline wax.
-The reason for choosing the works above, is because they are my most recent works, will be great to see them for the first time in a show.
-I am hoping my work can show all themes related to my practice including, Materiality, Change, Transformation, Process and this intimate relationship between material and artist.
-I am thinking of taking a space in the gallery which, has a sculptural setting, something which can add a platform to my work.
- The setting up of the show and the collaboration with my peers was a enjoyable experience. – Each artists work complements one another, even though each practice is diverse, the show I feel looks and will be a success.
-Personally I am very pleased with the installment of my work. Whilst being in the gallery and analyzing the space I had, new ideas for presenting my work came about.
- Instead of working with the 2 sculptures, PLASTERED TRACE and FIXED DUST, I choose to work with three of my works, and works which had a more finished outcome. For me this is when I map out and document the process of materials infusing together, which is not so recognizable in FIXED DUST.
- The three works I choose to show were, TOWEL TRACE, 2016, PLASTERED TRACE,2017 and LINER TRACE, 2016. Titling the piece THE TRIO. I originally thought about hanging the work, by fixing each piece to the wall. However I wanted to get this sculptural quality, so I used large screws as a fixing, and this enabled each piece to have this relief like quality. As if the work was coming out from the wall, with this character of saying I am of high importance.
-I used three positioned lights as a marker for where each work would go. This brought a new dimension to my work and an effect which was not intentional. What the light does is bring through another image of the work, by illustrating the shadow of the form. This use of light then became a factor into the work. I feel it makes the work stronger and more intriguing.It maybe something I will explore with in the future.
- Currently reading a book which has certain attachments to my own practice. The book is On Garbage by John Scanlan.
- Attachments which I have taken from the book are themes on, waste, Imperfection and disorder and contamination.
–Waste – How is waste seen? Does it just become an exhausted remainder of something once before. How does one have the opportunity to question the thought, of what waste is, and what is meant by recycling or re – production?
- In relation to my practice – By taking a surface which has already had a history, or been used to its full potential . I re – work this life and sense of purpose back into the chosen surfaces or objects I work with. This becomes an event of materializing old into new. By still carrying a tracing of a previous life, it now has developed into a context of art, which can be viewed and read into.
–Imperfection – Interesting quote from Freud – ‘The uncanny is ‘nothing new or alien, but something which is familiar an odd – established in the mind and which has become alienated from it only through the process of repression.’
- Could my work have an association with the uncanny? Or something seen as alienated?
- – My work is about materializing objects which once had a recognizable identification. However By processing with materials and active inputs from me as the artist, a process of transformation allows the object to become something else. A substance which which now needs to be classified and understood. What has it become? How has it got here? What is it’s purpose in the world?